• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• black pepper to taste
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin, or to taste
• 1 tablespoon ground curry powder, or to taste
• 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
• 1 cube vegetable bouillon
• 1 cup water
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1 cup uncooked white rice
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Sweat the garlic; when the garlic becomes aromatic, slowly stir in pepper, cumin, curry powder and chili powder. When spices begin to fry and become fragrant, stir in the bouillon cube and a little water.
2. Increase heat to high and add the rest of the water and the soy sauce. Just before the mixture comes to a boil, stir in rice. Bring to a rolling boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
3. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.